In our previous post, we have put some light on Microsoft Sql Server and recommended some study material. We will now start our journey from error free installation to the real life scenarios-based transact sql queries, which will be written and executed in Sql Server Management Console
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio showing a query, the results of the query, and the Object Explorer pane while connected to a SQL Server database engine instance. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
We will address the simplest steps to install Sql Server 2012 from beginner’s perspective.
For Express complete package installation,download
ENUx64SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe or ENUx86SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe (Whether your Windows is 64 or 32 bit)
For Express (Advanced) complete package
ENUx64SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe or ENUx86SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe (Your choice)
The Advanced Express version has added features such as reporting services, full text search etc.
Official download link for the setup files of your choice
Here is the official download link for these files
The Minimum System Requirements
Windows 32 bit System (Minimum Vista with SP2 or Server with SP2 installed), Intel or other supporting processor with at least 2.66 GHz Speed (My personal suggestion ), RAM should be 2 GB or more (if you want to run several applications such as Visual Studio with this server) ” The more you have, the more it will be better”.
[Note:32 bit Systems do not exceed more than 3 GB RAM, if you use 4 GB then it will utilize only 3 GB RAM]
Here we go
Is .Net Framework 3.5 or with SP1 or 4.0 installed? If not then here is the official link (I don’t like unofficial, mind you… ). Read the instructions,when downloading and installing and make sure it has been installed.
Now , its time to install your Sql Server Database.
1. Right click on the SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe or SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe and click ” Run As Administrator”
2. The installation wizard will appear and it will ask for several options.Set your desired language.Choose that option which indicates
“New Standalone Sql Installation or Add Features ” and click Next to proceed. A small auto-check will run and when it gets approval for all the pre-requisites, you will be asked to use the evaluation version or if you have bought a key then enter this and use the full version which has whole lots of benefits.Click Next
3.Accept Terms and conditions and check Updates checkbox (recommended) and click Next.
4.If updates are present then you won’t get any error. Otherwise, an error will be shown and you have to click next in order to install the updates (That’s why I was telling that enable auto update man…. ).If you have the connectivity issues, check the firewall and allow for both inbound and outbound traffic in the allow rule for this type of application. After the errors have been removed, you have to select the features to install.
Here is the image for your reference. You may check the features shown in the image in an exact manner.
If you want to know details about Sql Server 2012 features, click here
5. Everything after this will go smoothly. You will be asked to add either the default instance or the named instance .There is nothing to get worried about those instances sort of creatures.
“Take the easiest example. We have the main SQL Server Database which resides in my server computer and it is called manager-pc.The other employees of my company have specific needs from this server .
I assign the instances of my Server as follows:
Employee1 has been assigned the instance from my Database Server as
manager-pc/instance1 for writing queries etc.
Employee2 has been given more rights in the form of manager-pc/instance2 instance and so on.
* If someone has to show the reports from the instance of the server assigned to Employee2; he has to address the instance2 of manager-pc. So basically, he needs to refer to
* If someone has to connect to the default instance, he needs to go to manager-pc directly.
The instances are really great from preventing data corruption or intrusion,hacking,sql injection related issues
Just relax.It’s simple :)”
6. The disk space requirements screen is quite obvious to show you the required space as well as available
7. Now, here comes the screen asking you to configure the network settings.I will suggest you to assign account to each service on individual basis as it is recommended by the Microsoft. However, I use my own server’s administrator account for all the services. It is upto you to set the services to start manually or automatically.It needs some study material from here when making this decision.Click the Next button to proceed
8. The Database Engine Configuration screen gives you the option to choose the type of authentication.
Here ,we have the default user login id sa which is kept intact and we choose Mixed Mode and assign a good password . Click Next.
9. The next screen will take you to either change the path of the Data Directory or keep it unchanged and click??? Click what? obviously NNNNN…Next
10. In order to store the unstructured data in your database such as images or files etc, you should enable filestream by checking it and then click Next button
11. Let the Multidimensional Data Mining option checked and click Next
12. Error Reporting should be checked for descripitive explanation about the condition of the errors, if they occur in your server. this helps us to send the errors to Microsoft directly and yes; they help.
13. Installation configuration rules auto-checking screen appears and you have to……………………..You have to do nothing dear but click Next after the check completes.
14. Click Next on Install screen
14. Installation ……….. sit back and relax .After successfull completion ; click Next. Here , you may have to do one more thing ! Shout out lowder and say “Oh my” if the installation gets failed!!!!!
15. Installed ….congrats
16. After installation, check to see whether the required services are working ; Sql Server Configuration Manager is there to help